Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Hives... Itchy, blotchy, yuckiness

Hives suck. I got hives for the first time in my life tis week. They started showing up extremely early Sunday morning. At first, I didn't know what was going on. All I knew was that my arm was red and itchy.

Sunday afternoon I had J get me some Benadryl. I took it, and it helped with the itchiness. It also knocked me out. The redness didn't stay for long after the itching stopped.

Monday I ended up going to Insta-care, because it kept getting worse. They diagnosed it as hives, told me to take a larger dose of Benadryl, and said it should clear up within a day or two. I stayed home from work Monday, being itchy and doped up on Benadryl.

Even though I was continuing to break out, I went to work on Tuesday. I took lots of Benadryl with me, as well as caffeine, to keep me awake. Unfortunately, by Tuesday, I had also lost my voice. I wasn't able to talk to customers, so I was on emails and chats all day. I was also kind of loopy due to the medicine. On the plus side, I didn't itch nearly as much. After I got home last night, I skipped a dose of Benadryl, because I was feeling ok-ish. Big mistake!

Last night I was barely able to sleep. I was itching like crazy. And the Benadryl wasn't working. I tried taking a few doses, but if they worked at all, it was only for about an hour.

After not sleeping much last night, I still couldn't stop itching. On top of that, now the splotchy redness is staying, not going away like it did previously.

I'm at work, still can't talk, cratching like crazy, and full of red splotches. Also, they haven't set up the chat system on my computer yet. The Benadryl still isn't working well at ALL. When it does work, it's only for a short period of time. I hate this. I never want to have hives again. And unfortunately, we have no idea what caused it, so it could happen again. *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment